Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Haiti

So while I am not loving the wait, I am loving the security of knowing that we are through the courts and that part is done. When I have the wait of that uncertainty that we had to compare to this one, this is a breeze.

I have lots to do with the kids and still getting our Sunday School classrooms ready for our big move to a permanent facility on the 8th, so that really helps.

Did anyone see Oprah today? Sometimes I forget that I don't have to watch cartoons during the day, and today was one of those days where, since we had been inside all day, I kicked the boys out on the porch to play (since our yard is like a jungle right now w/all this rain) and turned the station to Oprah. It was a good one about people who saw injustice and instead of wishing they could do something about it, they did something about it. I especially loved the story about the man from Haiti, Jean-Robert Cadet, who was a child slave, moved to the US as a slave for the same people, and ended up getting a college degree in International Business (I think). They are called Restavecs. They are sold by their families into slavery, with the intent to return them to their families when the "masters" no longer need their services. I love Haiti and I am so glad to see it mentioned. I love Africa, too(especially now!), but Haiti never gets mentioned, while it is the poorest country in the western hemisphere. I loved the whole show anyways, because it highlighted the fact that one person can make a difference. Lots of people don't get that. They think that they have to have Oprah money or be one of those weirdo missionary women who don't shave their legs, or wear skirts with black socks and Birkenstocks, ya know? Really hope I didn't step on any toes, there. Anyways, I forgot where I was going with this....it was just a good show.

UPDATE: I would also just like to say that I am a weirdo missionary woman, myself. Without the black socks and birkenstocks. Sometimes I shave my legs.

No comments: