Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Deep thoughts, by Rachel Elliott

I have been thinking a lot about Bushe, Piper's very young mother. I have read with envy several birthmother meetings where the families have felt a connection with the birthmom. Or even had meaningful conversations. Ours was very quiet, with only a couple of questions answered. Maybe it is because of her young age, or what I am sure is a lack of self esteem or even the fact that she may have never been allowed to form her own opinion that she was unable to answer some questions. Questions like her dreams for the future, if she could choose it. Or the question about what she would like Piper to know about her. Communication was rough, to say the least, since we had to translate what I said to Amharic, and then that had to be translated into Oromo. I guess the possibility of the meaning of what was said could be really lost that way. I am just sad for Piper because I know that she will have many questions some day. Of course, we hope to travel back and visit when she older, maybe 10 or so, and see her mom again, if we can still find her.

Just thinking about it all, and this is just one of those things. I should be grateful that we were able to meet her at all. Piper has pictures and the video so that is good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard, isn't it. I adopted domestically and wonder the same thing. It's hard because you want to have a perfect story that answers all your child's questions and at least in our case, it's not perfect or complete. By the way, Piper is so darn cute.

Lori said...

Hey Rachel, just wanted to leave you a note here (wish I had your email) to say that I'm really sorry if that last post was hurtful in any way. I really hate the thought of that upsetting you. I appreciate your honesty (both in your comment and here on your blog about the reality of adoption not always being a bed of roses--we need more voices like this). My email: loretta_34@hotmail.com

Lori said...

Thanks so much for the comment, Rachel. I can stop worrying about it now :)